Thursday, June 20, 2013

Maglite Wrap #3: 3 Bight Turk's Head

I wrapped this LED 3-Cell MAGLITE for my dad. Like the weave in my previous post, this wrap consists of three bights and nineteen leads. However instead of only containing three passes, this weave sports four.

As you can see, the added fourth color definitely beefs up the weave a bit more. On the wrap for my MAGLITE, there were spots in which the knurled grip was visible beneath the weave. That is not the case with this wrap. The extra cord of the fourth color added quite a bit of length to the overall weave of the knot as well. Even though this weave and the previous both contain only nineteen leads, the weave on this flashlight extends almost to the end of the handle. I spent several hours working on this wrap. I know it would have taken me a lot longer if it wasn't for my jumbo Perma-Lok lacing needle.

My dad was a fan of the urban camo wrap that I used on my MAGLITE. He probably wouldn't have minded one just like it, but in order for us to tell the two apart, we added the burgundy into the mix. I cut and gutted ten feet of cord of each color for the wrap. You need all ten feet to initially complete the weave, however once the knot is cinched down all the way, the excess length, approximately a foot and a half of each color, is trimmed off.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I'm looking to try my hammer in building this exact drain just work different colors. Is there anywhere I might find step by step instructions?

    ReplyDelete