Monday, June 24, 2013

Hammer Handle Wrap

Adding a touch of style to a hand-me-down hammer, this weave is a two bight, fifteen lead Turk's Head Knot with four passes.

I considered leaving the 7 strands of nylon inside each cord for this wrap. I thought the added mass might be beneficial on a handle for a tool that is going to be swung around a lot. But the more I wove the un-gutted cord, the less I liked the wrap. It was just too much around the handle and gave me the feeling it might easily fly out of the hand when used. So I pulled off the weave and started over, this time utilizing my usual gutted cord method. I'm so glad I did; the grip on this weave is just perfect for a hammer.

Black, nylon 550 paracord bookends the weave for the first and fourth pass. The second pass was woven using desert tan nylon 550 paracord, and the third pass with foliage green nylon 550 paracord.

1 comment:

  1. Hey cordcraft! I really like the combination of colors you use in all your wraps. Im starting to do the turks heads now myself. Keep it up. I just started my blog as well. Let me know what you think. Im brand new to blogging.. thanks

    ReplyDelete